Arizona Stadium was built in 1928 with 7,000 seats in one section on the west side. In 1938, seats were added between the 25-yard lines on the east to push capacity to 10,000. In 1950, a horseshoe was completed between those sections on the south end to make capacity 22,600; that expansion included dormitories in the south and east sides. In 1965, the west side was expanded to add 10,000 seats and a press box, while 17,000 seats were added in a cantilevered upper deck on the east side in 1976. In 1988, permanent seating was installed in the north end zone.
The "Ring of Fame" was added before the 1998 season on the west side of the stadium; former players, coaches and Wildcats bowl teams are honored on the 420-foot-long structure.
Even before Arizona Stadium was built, the school had its most famous motto. In 1926, John "Button" Salmon, the student-body president and quarterback, was in an auto accident that left him with a severe spinal cord injury. Shortly after the accident, Salmon, on his death bed, told coach Pop McKale, "Tell them ... tell the team to bear down." "Bear Down" was adopted as the school slogan the following season.
The school fight song, "Bear Down, Arizona" was adopted in 1952 and inspired by incoming band director Jack Lee, who saw the "Bear Down" letters on the roof of the gym during his flight after the job interview.
U of A students annually whitewash the 160-foot high "A" west of Tucson on Sentinel Peak. Rival Arizona State similarly has an "A" near Sun Devil Stadium and the schools have often pulled pranks, trying to paint the other school's "A" in its colors. The Territorial Cup trophy that the two schools play for is the oldest rivalry trophy in the country, dating to 1899.