Here are the latest stories for Tuesday.
WORLD CUP: The FIFA Council has unanimously approved plans to expand the World Cup to 48 teams from 2026 onwards, opting for a group stage format of 16 groups of three nations.
- The president of the German Football Association (DFB) has said he is "not happy" after the FIFA Council rubber-stamped plans to expand the World Cup to 48 teams, adding 16 nations, in 2026.
FIFA: Cristiano Ronaldo said winning FIFA's Best Men's Player for 2016 "shows that people aren't blind" after beating Lionel Messi and Antoine Griezmann to claim the prize in Zurich on Monday. Ronaldo and Messi did not vote for each other.
- Ronaldo and Messi were both named to the FIFPro World11 team, but Griezmann was left out as nine of the spots went to players from Real Madrid and Barcelona.
- United States star Carli Lloyd was named Best Women's Player, Leicester City's Claudio Ranieri won the Best FIFA Men's Coach of the Year and Mohd Faiz Subri won the Puskas Award for the best goal of the year.
- Real Madrid legends Roberto Carlos and Michel Salgado have slammed Lionel Messi and other Barcelona stars for snubbing the Best FIFA Football Awards ceremony on Monday.
REAL MADRID: Luka Modric, Sergio Ramos and Cristiano Ronaldo have all voiced their disappointment at no Barcelona players attending Monday's Best FIFA Men's Player award ceremony.
- Martin Odegaard has pledged to "prove what he can do" after joining Dutch side Heerenveen on loan until June 2018.
- Mesut Ozil has told kicker that Arsenal are still in the Premier League title race and praised Arsene Wenger for giving him the "freedom on the pitch" he needs to be at his best.
- Arsenal midfielder and U.S. under-23 international Gedion Zelalem is nearing a move to Borussia Dortmund, sources have told ESPN FC.
BORUSSIA DORTMUND: BVB have dedicated the FIFA Fan Award that was jointly awarded to their fans and Liverpool fans to the 96 victims of the Hillsborough disaster in 1989.
- Lucas Leiva says Liverpool's title challenge could keep him at the club until the end of the season but he is now seriously considering his long-term future.
MAN UNITED: Paul Pogba wants Manchester United to try to finish off Hull City in the first leg of the EFL Cup semifinal at Old Trafford on Tuesday.
- Chris Smalling has said that he pushes himself to the limit "all the time" and explained that he needed his recent two-month break from action after he played against Chelsea on Oct. 23 with a broken toe.
- Regan Poole's early red card for Manchester United under-23s was punished on Monday night, as manager Nicky Butt's 10 men went on to lose 3-1 against Manchester City in the clubs' Premier League 2 Division One fixture in Leigh.
MLS: The LA Galaxy may be cutting back on costs, but that hasn't diminished the team's appetite for designated players.