<
>

Romelu Lukaku tells Everton he won't sign new contract offer - sources

play
Should Chelsea break the bank for Lukaku? (3:25)

Shaka Hislop and Sebastian Salazar discuss the chances Romelu Lukaku makes the move from Goodison Park to Stamford Bridge. (3:25)

Romelu Lukaku is stalling on signing a new deal at Everton as he wants to keep his options open this summer, sources confirmed to ESPN FC.

Everton have been locked in talks with Lukaku for some time now over a new deal and were hopeful of tying down the striker to a new long-term contract, with the player's agent Mino Raiola claiming it was "99.9 percent agreed."

However, those talks have reached a deadlock with Lukaku indicating he does not want to sign a new deal at Goodison Park, as first reported on Tuesday by multiple English newspapers.

Despite the setback, a deal for Lukaku remains on the table and Everton remain hopeful of a successful resolution, one source told ESPN FC.

The 23-year-old has never hidden his desire to be playing in the Champions League, and Lukaku's decision to reject the contract offer is down to the player waiting to see if any of Europe's top clubs come calling for him this summer.

There is sure to be no shortage of suitors for Lukaku with the Belgian enjoying a stellar campaign so far for Everton.

Lukaku has scored 19 goals this season to make him the joint-top goal scorer in the Premier League and he has recently become Everton's all-time leading Premier League scorer with 62 goals since joining from Chelsea in 2014.

Chelsea were keen on re-signing Lukaku last summer and those at Stamford Bridge are sure to be alerted to the striker's contract snub at Everton.

Everton are reluctant to lose Lukaku and sources said it could a take a fee in excess of Paul Pogba's world record £89.3m to force them into selling.