Vineeth hat-trick powers BFC to 3-0 win over Mumbai FC

C K Vineeth's hat-trick helped defending champions Bengaluru FC defeat Mumbai FC 3-0 in a third round match of the I-League at Sree Kanteerava stadium in Bengaluru on Wednesday.

Bengaluru are now top of the points table with nine points from three matches.

Vineeth struck in the 45th, 57th and 65th minutes in a match dominated by the home side for the most part. The Kerala striker smashed his first goal as he found himself unmarked after Cameron Watson crossed the ball to him.

For his second goal, Vineeth calmly slotted the ball home from point blank range after Harmanjot Khabra played a beautiful cross.

Vineeth scored his third after getting a beautiful through ball from Khabra which he calmly placed to the left of the keeper, giving him no chance.

Vineeth missed his fourth goal of the match when his shot came off a Mumbai defender after Nishu Kumar played a good cross in the 79th minute.

Churchill slump to third straight loss

Churchill Brothers FC suffered their third straight defeat in the I-League 2016-17 as Kingfisher East Bengal cruised to a comfortable 2-0 win at the Tilak Maidan, in Vasco on Wednesday.

A header from 'Semboi' Haokip and a direct corner goal from skipper Lalrindika Ralte in the first half sealed all three points for the Red and Gold brigade.

Tackles were flying in from the start, and East Bengal suffered an early blow when they had to replace defender Anwar Ali with Gurwinder Singh in the third minute. The central defender appeared to injure himself while attempting a diving clearance. That didn't stop Trevor Morgan's men as East Bengal continued to attack, with forward Willis Plaza coming close on two occasions early on.

As the game reached the half-hour mark, East Bengal punished a lapse in concentration by the Churchill defence. Winger Nikhil Poojary snuck in behind left-back Fulganco Cardozo as he raced down the touchline before looping a low cross into the path of Thongkhosiem Haokip.

Brandon did try to drag his team back into the game when he unleashed a dipping shot from 35 yards which had to be tipped over the bar by goalkeeper TP Rehenesh. East Bengal took control of the game, and Lalrindika Ralte doubled East Bengal's lead when he curled the ball straight into the net just before half-time. The swerving corner kick curled its way into the far corner as the acrobatic attempt of Priyant Singh was not enough to deny East Bengal the second goal.