I-League: Bengaluru fight back for draw; Shillong Lajong, East Bengal win

Two goals in the last 16 minutes saw Bengaluru FC fight back from a two-goal deficit to hold DSK Shivajians to a 2-2 draw in the I-League game at Pune's Balewadi Stadium on Sunday.

A 74th-minute strike from Sunil Chhetri and a debut goal for Salam Ranjan for Bengaluru in the 90th minute left the Blues in fifth place, with 10 points from six games.

The first half belonged to the hosts, who had a couple of chances but were kept at bay by Bengaluru's defence. However, in the 40th minute, Keegan Pereira failed to read Juan Quero's pass for Holicharan Narzary and drew goalkeeper Amrinder Singh off his line. The ball landed at the feet of Narzary, who made no mistake in shooting into an empty goal. DSK doubled their lead in the 55th minute when Milan Singh's long ball over Bengaluru's high defensive line clipped Ranjan's leg before rolling on to the path of Narzary, who shot through Amrinder's legs to make it 2-0.

Bengaluru pulled one back in the 74th minute, Chhetri bringing down a long ball from Cameron Watson with his chest before slotting it past Paul.

Bengaluru's sustained pressure in trying to find an equaliser paid off when a corner swung in from Watson in the 90th minute was nodded in by Ranjan to level scores.

Bengaluru could have come away with a win, but Lenny Rodrigues' attempt in the dying minutes struck the DSK woodwork and Chhetri's attempted shot from the rebound hit a DSK player.

Lajong win four straight

Shillong Lajong registered four consecutive I-League wins for the first time in their history after beating Churchill Brothers 1-0 at the JN Stadium.

The striker Aser Dipanda Dicka provided the breakthrough in the 51st minute, scoring his sixth goal of the season, while the hosts' keeper Vishal Kaith was also called into action in the second half, pulling off two important saves.

Churchill spurned a great chance to take a lead in in the first half when Trinidad & Tobago forward Anthony Wolfe blasted the ball just over the crossbar. Churchill had another opportunity to score soon after the restart, but Ansumana Kromah was denied by a diving save from Vishal.

It was a crucial moment in the game, as soon after, Lajong pressed forward in numbers and Dicka capitalised on a fumble by the Churchill keeeper Priyant Kumar Singh, stealing the ball and slotting it home in between two defenders.

Dicka had two more sights on goal, but it was Churchill who came closest to finding the back of the net, Adil Ahmed Khan being kept out by another reflex stop from Vishal.

The win took Shillong to fourth in the table, with 12 points. Churchill remain at eighth, with just five.

East Bengal record sixth straight win

East Bengal picked up their sixth consecutive win, sweeping aside Chennai City FC 3-0 at Kolkata's Barasat Stadium.

Wedson Anselme (50′), Willis Plaza (75′) and Lalrindika Ralte (90'+4′) struck in the second half to take East Bengal to 19 points from seven games, three ahead of arch-rivals Mohun Bagan, who are on 16 points but with a game in hand. The two heavyweights clash in the Kolkata derby on February 12 at the Kanchenjunga Stadium in Siliguri.

Chennai remain at the bottom of the table with four points.

After a goalless first half, East Bengal broke the deadlock five minutes into the second period, Ralte putting a lob for Anselme, who shot through Yumnam Raju's legs.

In the 74th minute, Wedson's delicate pass split the Chennai defence and found Plaza, who scored with ease.

In second-half added time, Echezona brought down substitute Thongkosiem Haokip to hand East Bengal a penalty. Keeper Abhra Mondal guessed right but Ralte's spot kick had enough on it to find the net.