I-League: Balwant Singh scores as Mohun Bagan drop points again

Mohun Bagan dropped points yet again as they failed to beat a much-improved Mumbai FC side at the Rabindra Sarobar stadium on Wednesday. The game finished 2-2 after Balwant Singh salvaged a point for the home team.

Pritam Kotal gave Bagan the lead in the 12th minute before two quick-fire goals from Thoi Singh (20') and Victorino Fernandes (22') in the space of two minutes pegged the home team back. After enduring a lot of frustration from the visitors, Balwant finally equalised in the 89th minute to take a point from a well-fought contest.

Kotal's goal came via a clever flick from Katsumi Yusa. Sony Norde's corner was flicked into the path of Kotal by Katsumi and the defender made no mistake in giving Bagan the lead.

The lead didn't last long as the visitors turned the game around in a matter of minutes. Thoi toe-poked a shot by Pratesh Shirodkar to get the equalizer. Reagan Singh, the right back, then broke free and crossed into the box to assist Victorino Fernandes, who slotted the ball in nicely to give Mumbai the lead.

Mumbai wasted many chances to extend the lead in the next few minutes.

In the second half, Bagan desperately searched for the equaliser. After many minutes of sustained pressure they found the net late in the game through Balwant, who headed in a perfect cross from Sony Norde on the far post.

Bagan are now seven points adrift leaders Aizawl, but have two games in hand.

Chennai frustrate defending champions BFC

Bengaluru FC endured another frustrating night, this time at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Chennai, as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Chennai City FC.

A second-half own-goal from John Johnson had given Chennai the lead only for Daniel Lalhlimpuia to equalize on a night when BFC rued several missed chances.

For all of Bengaluru's authority on the game, it was Chennai who found themselves with the lead in the 53rd minute when Johnson headed a seemingly harmless cross from Nandhakumar on the right and watched in horror as it flew past Arindam Bhattacharya and into the BFC net.

A quick response was what Bengaluru needed and they found one within five minutes of conceding. Sent on a chase he won down the right, Udanta's cross was pushed away by Karanjit Singh only to fall at Daniel's feet and the striker calmly shot home the equaliser.

Bengaluru, though, were unable to find a winner, and their frustrations were compounded when they were denied a penalty for handball deep into stoppage time.