I-League: East Bengal finish third, BFC fourth

Bengaluru FC ended their I-League season with a 3-0 win over Churchill Brothers at the Kanteerava Stadium in Bengaluru on Saturday. Daniel Lalhlimpuia, Udanta Singh and Mandar Rao Dessai scored for the hosts, who finished the season at fourth position with 30 points.

In the fifth minute Gursimrat Gill, played down the right from a quickly taken free kick, sent in a cross that Lalhlimpuia tapped home on the volley to put BFC ahead.

In the 35th minute Churchill goalkeeper Naveen Kumar missed a ball he raced out to collect. Udanta latched on to the pass and lost a defender before shooting home.

Churchill's best chance came in the 44th minute when a misunderstanding between Juan Gonzalez and Sandesh Jhingan while defending a corner saw the ball fall at Adil Khan's feet. But the Churchill player shot high from five yards out.

In the 83rd minute Dessai sent a long ball forward for Lenny Rodrigues to attack. The midfielder cut it back for Salam Ranjan to pass to the onrushing Dessai, who took a touch and then another before sending a curling shot past the Churchill goalie.

In a heavily shuffled line-up from the side that beat DSK Shivajians 7-0 last weekend, Albert Roca chose to rest Sunil Chhetri, Cameron Watson, John Johnson, CK Vineeth and Eugeneson Lyngdoh as Gill was handed his first start in a BFC shirt.

Plaza stars in East Bengal win

East Bengal beat relegated Mumbai FC 4-0 in their last I-League match at the Cooperage Stadium in Mumbai on Saturday. The win enabled East Bengal to finish at the third position on the I-League table with 33 points from 18 matches.

In the seventh minute Bikash Jairu timed his run to perfection and slotted the ball past Mumbai's goalkeeper Laxmikant Kattimani. On the stroke of half-time, Willis Plaza scored the second goal for the visitors.

East Bengal scored twice in the second half too -- through Wedson Anselme and Plaza.

Mumbai FC finished their season with 13 points from 18 matches.