<
>

National-level wrestler dies of electrocution

National-level wrestler Vishal Kumar Varma died due to electrocution while pumping out water from the inundated Jaipal Singh stadium in Ranchi on Tuesday.

Confirming the fatal accident, Jharkhand wrestling association secretary Bhola Nath Singh told ESPN that the 25 year-old Greco-Roman wrestler, who had the keys to the state wrestling association office situated in the stadium since he lived less than 100 meters away from it, was trying to pump out water from the premises which was flooded following recent rains before being electrocuted and being declared brought dead by Sardar hospital where he was rushed to. The mishap seems to have occurred due to reported short circuit.

"Apart from rains, water also flowed in from an under construction building adjacent to the stadium," Singh said, "I don't know why he went there in the first place since it's submerged under water. He stood fourth in the 74 kg category at this year's senior nationals so we have lost a bright prospect. He was like a younger brother to me and came to meet on the morning of the incident asking for Rs 500. Since he was the sole bread winner of the family we would try to help him out whenever he needed anything. We have provided his family with a compensation of Rs 1 lakh for now and will be offering Rs 10,000 per month to his family." Varma is survived by his parents and three sisters.

The association has requested the state government to provide employment to at least one of his siblings.