Michigan apologizes for late doctor's sexual abuse

ANN ARBOR, Michigan -- The president of the University of Michigan apologized Thursday to "anyone who was harmed" by a late doctor after several former students said he molested them during medical exams at the school, including one man who said the university didn't respond when he reported the abuse decades ago, and an Olympic wrestler who said the physician's reputation for such conduct was well known among his teammates.

The university announced Wednesday that it had launched an investigation into Dr. Robert E. Anderson's conduct after five of his former patients alleged he sexually abused them during exams. Officials have acknowledged that some university employees were aware of accusations against the doctor prior to a 2018 complaint that led to a police investigation.

University president Mark Schlissel opened a meeting of the school's board of regents Thursday by reading a prepared statement about Anderson, who died in 2008.

"The patient-physician relationship involves a solemn commitment and trust," he said. "The allegations are highly disturbing. On behalf of the university, I apologize to anyone who was harmed by Dr. Anderson."

University spokesman Rick Fitzgerald said Thursday that, since the investigation was announced, 22 people have called a hotline to report on interactions with the onetime director of the University Health Service and team physician for the football team. Fitzgerald said he didn't have detailed information about the individual callers or what they described. He said some of the callers reported having no issues with Anderson.

Andy Hrovat, who competed for the U.S. in the 2008 Summer Olympics, told The Associated Press that his encounters with Anderson happened during his freshman year in 1998.

"I would like to let people know that it's OK to come out," Hrovat said in an interview from his attorney's office in Denver. "It's OK to let your voice be heard."

He is the first athlete to make public accusations against Anderson following complaints this week from other former students that the doctor sexually abused them decades ago. "I was warned about him from teammates, saying, 'If anything happens and you go see the doctor, he's going to inappropriately touch you, that's just what Dr. A does,'" Hrovat recalled. He declined to describe the exam, saying he was uncomfortable talking about it.

"To me, the mental part of it of having to go in there knowing that this doctor was going to touch you inappropriately is what sticks out most in my mind," he said. Hrovat said he did not tell then-Michigan wrestling coach Dale Bahr or anyone in athletic administration about Anderson's conduct. "In my mind, he normalized what he was doing and made you think that was just a normal part of the procedure," he said. "So why would you tell somebody?"

Gary Bailey, now 72, told The Associated Press that Anderson dropped his pants and asked him to fondle his genitals in a medical exam during Bailey's senior year in 1968 or 1969. Bailey said he filled out a complaint form to the University Health Service within a month or so, writing that the behavior was "inappropriate," but the school did not respond.

"I never heard anything about it ever again," Bailey said.

Bailey, who is gay, said Anderson "preyed a little bit on people who were gay ... because he sort of thought that they wouldn't say anything because, you know, people were pretty closeted back then."

"It was a traumatic thing at the time," Bailey told the AP of his own experience with Anderson. He said that, while the abuse has not "ruined my life or anything, it may have other people and that's why I'm bringing my story to light."

He said he told friends about the abuse decades ago. Bailey, of Dowagiac, Michigan, first publicly spoke to The Detroit News.

Another man, Robert Julian Stone, told the AP on Wednesday that Anderson assaulted him during a medical appointment at the university's health center in 1971. Stone said he alerted university officials last summer, inspired by the national #MeToo movement against sexual misconduct.

Bailey said he decided to come forward to corroborate Stone's account after Anderson's family members told The Detroit News he never could have done such a thing.

"It just sort of irritated me. I mean, I'm sure no one thinks their father or mother can do anything like this. But it does happen, and my story is factual," Bailey said.

The AP left phone messages with two of Anderson's three children. An email was sent to the third seeking comment.

Fitzgerald said he could not provide more detail on investigators' finding that some university employees were aware of accusations against the doctor prior to the 2018 complaint that led to a police investigation.

John Manly, a lawyer for many of the hundreds of victims of now-imprisoned former Michigan State University sports doctor Larry Nassar, said Thursday that a half dozen people have called his California-based firm alleging abuse by Anderson -- mostly former football players and wrestlers. He said they were fearful of what could happen to their positions on teams or at the school if they reported what he did to them.

"My experience has been that's much more about liability protection than helping the victims," Manly said. "It's really important that one of America's greatest universities act like it and treat these people not as adversaries but as people that are injured and that deserve support. My fear is that's not happening."

The university said the July 2018 complaint came from a former student-athlete who wrote to athletic director Warde Manuel alleging abuse by Anderson during medical exams in the early 1970s.

Fitzgerald said he could not answer questions about the scope of the police investigation, including whether investigators reviewed Anderson's resignation as head of the health service in 1980 or his retirement in 2003.

The university police department referred the AP to the university's Division of Public Safety and Security for questions about the investigation. A spokeswoman for the division did not immediately return an email with specific questions about the investigation.

The Washtenaw County Prosecuting Attorney's office first received the police department's report in late April or early May of 2019, said Steven Hiller, assistant chief prosecuting attorney.

A prosecutor concluded that summer that no criminal charges would be authorized because the primary suspect had died and none of the offenses were within Michigan's six-year statute of limitations, Hiller said.

The university had said Wednesday in a statement that it was making the information public following a determination on Tuesday by prosecutors that no criminal charges would be authorized. Fitzgerald referred questions about the discrepancy to the county prosecutor's office and did not immediately respond to additional inquiries.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.