Glamorgan recovery shortlived as Taylor and Charlesworth take command

Jack Taylor in action for Gloucestershire Getty Images

Gloucestershire 284 for 6 (Taylor 98*, Charlesworth 65*) lead Glamorgan 137 (Cooke 60, Payne 4-25, Miles 4-42) by 147 runs

When Gloucestershire lost sixth wicket, they were only 24 runs ahead and for once this season Glamorgan were competitive. But that was as good as it got for the home side as Jack Taylor and Ben Charlesworth then shared an unbeaten, and potentially matchwinning, partnership of 143 for the seventh wicket to build a sizeable lead of 147.

The day was not quite perfect for Taylor, however. When play was abandoned for the day with 16 overs remaining, The was unbeaten on 98, frustratingly short by two runs of the sixth century of his career, with Charlesworth, a solid partner at the other end, on 65.

Another two runs would also set up a new record for the seventh wicket for Gloucestershire against Glamorgan, surpassing the previous one created by Alf Dipper and Albert Waters at the Victory Road Ground in Cheltenham 95 years ago.

Twenty-eight overs were lost during the morning session, and when play resumed at 1.25, Taylor and Ryan Higgins added a further eight runs before Higgins was bowled by Hogan off the inside edge for 18.

Charlesworth, a 17-year-old allrounder, was again released by his school, St Edward's, Oxford, to play in his fourth Championship game after scoring an unbeaten 77 and taking three wickets in Gloucestershire's last game against Middlesex. A compact left hander, he began with a couple of edged boundaries, but then settled to play some elegant strokes through the offside.

Taylor, renowned for his attacking strokeplay, remained steadfast for the early part of his innings, accumulating mostly in singles and the occasional boundary, taking 128 balls to reach his fifty.

Charlesworth, however, should have been out after making 33, but was dropped at backward point off Hogan, and went on to reach his fifty from 104 balls with nine boundaries.

Glamorgan were handicapped by the absence of Ruaidhri Smith, who was off the field throughout the second day suffering from a side strain, and with the flat pitch not offering any assistance to the bowlers, Gloucestershire's seventh wicket pair continued to pile on the runs.