Junior World Cup as it happened; England beat India in shootout to win bronze

India take on England in the playoff for bronze. Hockey India

It was a disappointing end to India's Junior World Cup campaign as they lost their bronze medal playoff match to England in the penalty shootout.

Both teams were tied at 2-2 at the end of the fourth quarter after Claudia Swain equalised with 90 seconds left in the match. Sharmila Devi, Sangita Kumari and Salima Tete missed their chances in the shootout while Katie Curtis, Swain and Maddie Axford scored to ensure England go home with the bronze medal.

Earlier in the game, England skipper Millie Giglio scored the opening goal of the match in the 17th minutes but India equalised three minutes thanks to Mumtaz Khan. India then dominated the proceedings and Mumtaz added another in the 46th minute.

England pushed hard for the equaliser and finally found the second goal with Swain scoring from a close range with a minute and half to go in the fourth quarter.

In the 2013 Junior World Cup in Monchengladbach in Germany, India had secured their maiden bronze medal by defeating England in the shootout.

Contrary to the final result, it was India who had the better statistics in the match in all aspects, be it possession, circle penetrations and shots on goal.

But England had the last laugh as lapse in concentration in the final few minutes of the match cost India dearly.

India, though, started the match on a positive note, securing two penalty corners in quick time just after the start but the English defence was up to the task to deny their opponents.

Lalrindiki then had an excellent chance to put India ahead but she fired wide from close range with only the English goalkeeper to beat.

England took the lead three minutes into the second quarter. Giglio's weak shot on goal from inside the circle bobbled towards India goalkeeper Bichu Devi Kharibam, who mistimed her kick as the ball went past between her legs inside the post.

England's joy lasted just three minutes as India equalised through, who else, than Mumtaz. She scored her seventh goal of the tournament by beautifully controlling a pass from the right flank with one touch and then slotted the ball into the English goal to draw parity.

Both the teams tried hard to take the initiative thereafter but failed to create any real scoring opportunity to go into the halfway break locked at 1-1.

It was a disappointing display by both India and England after the change of ends, dishing out frustrating and cagey hockey for most part of the next 15 minutes.

Just 11 minutes into the fourth quarter, England won a penalty corner but Bichu Devi made an excellent save to deny Maddie Axford.

The Indians continued to dominate in the final quarter, earning a couple of penalty corners but they failed in final execution.

India made the scoreline 2-1 in the 47th minute, yet again through Mumtaz, who cooly lifted over the English goalkeeper.

Trailing by a goal, a desperate England pulled off their goalkeeper for an extra player six minutes from the final hooter, and mounted numerous raids, which resulted in two penalty corners but the Indian defence stood firm till then.

But two minutes from full time, the Indian defence finally wilted under pressure when Swain scored the equaliser with a slap shot past Bichu Devi after receiving a pass from the right flank.

With inputs from PTI

Follow the match blog as it happened.

(Please wait for a few seconds for the blog to load. If it does not, please click here)