<
>

LIVE Transfer Talk: Liverpool make first move in pursuit of Napoli's Kalidou Koulibaly

play
Nicol: Jurgen Klopp will be happy with a point (2:12)

Steve Nicol explains why both Liverpool and Everton will be happy with a draw in their first game back. (2:12)

The coronavirus pandemic has made the summer transfer window uncertain, but here are the rumours floating around Europe's big leagues and beyond.

TOP STORY: Napoli turn down Liverpool bid for Koulibaly

Liverpool are keen to partner Virgil van Dijk with Napoli's Kalidou Koulibaly next season, but they'll need to improve on their bid of £58 million, which has been rejected, according to Corriere dello Sport.

Liverpool are one of several sides across Europe hoping to lure the Senegal international away from Naples this summer, but their first bid for the player falls well short of Napoli's valuation.

Koulibaly has been a rock for Napoli for several years and, as such, he has been linked with a move away from the club for the past two seasons.

Manchester United are also said to be interested, but Liverpool have made the first move. Napoli are seeking £90m, which means the Reds will have stump up significantly more than their opening bid to have a chance of getting their hands on the reliable centre-back.

LIVE BLOG

22.15 BST: Everton have confirmed that goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg has signed a short-term deal with the Merseyside club to remain at Goodison Park through the end of the season, before the 37-year-old will join Ajax on a permanent basis.

21.08 BST: Mundo Deportivo cites France Football as reporting that Paris Saint-Germain have offered pending free agent Layvin Kurzawa a new four-year contract with a substantial pay rise amid the interest generated by the 27-year-old left-back from Chelsea, Atletico Madrid, Inter and Arsenal.

20.01 BST: Chris Smalling will remain on loan at Roma for another season, according to Corriere dello Sport, as the Italian capital club continues to negotiate a swap deal that will see Henrikh Mkhitaryan's loan at the Stadio Olimpico become permanent in exchange for Justin Kluivert, and Pedro is set to join on a free transfer from Chelsea for two years.

18.54 BST: Sport reports that Inter's €50m sale of Mauro Icardi to Paris Saint-Germain has given them the financial strength to withstand Barcelona's advances towards Lautaro Martinez. The Blaugrana have offered €65m and Junior Firpo, with the Italian club refusing to sell for anything less than €85m plus the player.

17.47 BST: Lionel Messi has signed a new two-year contract with Barcelona. What does that change for the Catalan club and their talisman? Our Gab Marcotti weighs in.

play
1:06

Messi to agree new 2-year deal at Barcelona

Gab Marcotti is 'curious' to see what details Barcelona will change in Lionel Messi's new two-year contract.

16.40 BST: Juventus and Barcelona have agreed to a swap deal involving Arthur and Miralem Pjanic this summer, according to Italian newspaper Repubblica.

Pjanic, 30, has been in discussions for some time over the move but Arthur has so far been unwilling to entertain the idea of moving to Turin.

Now the Brazilian has changed his mind, La Repubblica reports that "almost everything is done" for the deal and it will be completed before June 30.

15.52 BST: Borussia Dortmund have won the race to sign Manchester United target Jude Bellingham, sources have told ESPN, with the club expected to announce the Birmingham City midfielder's arrival in the coming days for a fee believed to be around £20m.

Bellingham, 16, has also been linked with Chelsea but has his heart set on a transfer to the Bundesliga to follow in the footsteps of England international Jadon Sancho.

Bellingham can't officially sign a professional contract until he turns 17 on Monday, June 29. He is set to finish the Championship season with Birmingham which restarted at the weekend and is set to be concluded by late July.

15.40 BST: Chelsea have some extra funds to spend on players as midfielder Mario Pasalic has signed for Atalanta on a permanent basis for €15m.

15.33 BST: Portuguese newspaper Record says that FC Porto defender Alex Telles is on the radar of Chelsea. Ben Chilwell holds the key, as does PSG's Layvin Kurzawa.

Basically, if Chelsea sign Chilwell then Telles could go to PSG and Kurzawa somewhere else once his contract expires in the summer.

If Chelsea can't afford Chilwell then Telles at €40m would be cheaper and PSG might keep hold of Kurzawa after all.

14.45 BST: Arsenal have issues. One of them is the contract saga surrounding captain Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang.

play
0:49

Why Aubameyang holds all the cards for Arsenal

Mark Ogden believes Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is the key to Arsenal returning to form.

13.49 BST: Canada and Gent striker Jonathan David has made no secret of the fact he wants to move to the Bundesliga, but a €35m asking price is proving prohibitive.

Het Laatste Nieuws says that Borussia Dortmund, RB Leipzig, Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen are all keen, but it was Borussia Mönchengladbach who came in with an actual €25m that has been rejected by the Belgian club.

13.15 BST: Reims central defender Axel Disasi has been linked with Arsenal, but the Gunners are facing competition now.

Southampton and Monaco have made offers for €20m-rated Frenchman, according to L'Equipe.

12.26 BST: Barcelona want to get rid of Ousmane Dembele and Mundo Deportivo says they will accept an offer of around €50-60m for the player.

Dembele, 23, certainly has potential but has struggled with injury in recent years. The France winger has attracted interest from many of Europe's top clubs, including Liverpool, but will any of them want to take a gamble on him?

11.47 BST: Former Manchester United player Quinton Fortune has set his sights on becoming manager of the club one day.

The ex-South Africa international, a former teammate of current boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at Old Trafford, has been working with United's Under-23s for a year. He previously spent seven years as a player at the club between 1999 and 2006 and says his ambition in the future is to get the top job at Old Trafford.

"I thought about that question yesterday for some reason and my first thought was to become the manager of Manchester United," Fortune told the Manchester United Podcast. "That's my dream. Of course, I'm starting now with the Under-23s and I'm learning a lot and I want to learn as much as possible because management changes so much in the game today.

"Look, I [may] have to go out and learn somewhere else and become a manager. But the dream, the ultimate dream, is to come back and be the manager of Manchester United. From what I've been through, I'm going for the highest level."

11.32 BST: Chelsea's first choice is to sign Ben Chilwell from Leicester but the left-back will cost around £70m so they may need a backup plan.

PSG's Layvin Kurzawa is available on a free transfer this summer and would prove to be a significantly cheaper option, according to the Daily Express.

10.49 BST: Borussia Dortmund striker Erling Haaland is the one that everyone wants... but where will he end up?

play
1:30

Fjortoft gives timeline on Haaland's Dortmund future

Jan Aage Fjortoft outlines Erling Haaland's path at Dormund and looks ahead to his bright future.

10.35 BST: Tottenham have signed up Jan Vertonghen and Michel Vorm to short-term contract extensions until the end of the season.

10.17 BST: Villarreal midfielder Santi Cazorla has received a tempting offer to join Al Sadd at the end of the season, according to local reports.

Cadena Ser states that Al Sadd coach Xavi is trying to lure his former Spain teammate to the Qatar Stars League football club.

Cazorla, 35, becomes a free agent this summer and has not made a decision regarding his future. The former Arsenal star has scored eight goals and set up six more in 27 league appearances this season. Xavi is hoping to be a third-time lucky having previously tried but failed on two occasions to convince Cazorla to join Al Sadd.

09.44 BST: SPORT reports that Barcelona need to sell players before June 30 to balance the books.

As a result they are putting their foot on the accelerator over deals for Jean-Clair Todibo and Philippe Coutinho. The report states that the club will take less than €70m for Coutinho and around €20-25m for Todibo, with Everton reportedly interested.

09.22 BST: Juventus are hoping to beat Inter Milan to the signing of Chelsea left-back Emerson Palmieri, according to reports.

Tuttosport claims that Emerson, 25, remains a main target of Juve this summer. Juve coach Maurizio Sarri is a fan of Emerson's technical quality after monitoring him during his time at Chelsea last season.

The Italy international has made 14 league appearances for the Blues this season and is tied to the London outfit until June 2022. Juve are in the market for a left-back after losing defender Alex Sandro to a knee injury last week. Emerson, who played three seasons at Roma after a loan spell at Palermo, reportedly wants to return to Italy.

09.00 BST: Brazil great Ronaldo Nazario has opened the doors for Alexis Sanchez to join his La Liga club Real Valladolid.

The Chile international winger has scored one goal and set up two more in 10 league appearances while on a season-long loan at Inter Milan from Manchester United and is expected to return to Old Trafford this summer.

Asked about the difficult spell that the former Barcelona star is going through, Ronaldo, who became majority owner and president of Valladolid in September 2018, smiled and said: "Alexis Sanchez has succeeded wherever he has gone. He is a player with a lot of quality and if he doesn't succeed at Inter, here we leave the doors open at Valladolid for him to be with us."

Sanchez, 31, was considered one of the highest rated players in the Premier League when he signed for United from Arsenal in January 2018 but failed to live up to expectations due to injuries.

Chile coach Reinaldo Rueda recently backed Sanchez to bounce back from "a traumatic year" and recover his best form.

Sanchez, Chile's all-time leading scorer, is tied to the Red Devils until June 2022 and is reportedly unwilling to take a pay cut from his current £500,000-a-week contract at Old Trafford in order to facilitate a move away.

Valladolid are 15th in the standings, seven points clear of the relegation zone with eight games remaining.

play
1:41

Marcotti: Ronaldo playing centre forward is not a good idea

Gab Marcotti says the majority of Cristiano Ronaldo's recent struggles come down to positioning and fitness.

PAPER TALK (by Nick Judd)

Juve target Milik to partner Ronaldo

Juventus appear to be struggling for goals since the Italian league restarted and this has led boss Maurizio Sarri to prioritise Arkadiusz Milik as a summer target, reports Tuttosport.

The Napoli striker is a wanted man and, with Gonzalo Higuain set to leave Turin, Juve are reported to be willing to offer Federico Bernardeschi to move in the other direction in an effort to seal the deal.

Juve are open to the idea of throwing one of Daniele Rugani or Cristian Romero into the deal, but Juve are unsure whether or not Napoli supremo Aurelio De Laurentiis will be prepared to let Milik go.

Sarri believes the Poland international will help get the best out of Cristiano Ronaldo, and with Milik out of contract at the end of next season, Juve's rivals could be tempted to sell to prevent them losing him for a free in 12 months' time.

Pep targets centre-back Dias

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has admitted he will not be looking to replace Leroy Sane when the winger leaves the club, but he will be looking to improve his defence, reports the Standard.

Guardiola is resigned to losing Sane to Bayern Munich either this summer or at the end of next season, but a centre-back remains his priority.

The Standard believes City are watching Benfica's Ruben Dias. Dias is considered one of the crown jewels of the current Benfica side, and while club president Luis Felipe Vieira wants to keep his star men in an effort to challenge Europe's finest in the Champions League, he does have a tendency to sell his best players.

Ederson, Nelson Semedo, Raul Jimenez and Joao Felix have all left the Stadium of Light in recent seasons, and many are expecting Dias to follow them out of the exit door this summer, too.

Tap-ins

- Morgan Schneiderlin is close to securing a move away from Everton and could join Ligue 1 side Nice early this week, reports Sky Sports. The 30-year-old midfielder is in the last 12 months of his contract and has been in the south of France this weekend finalising the move. He has passed his medical, so the move simply hinges on Everton's agreement.

- Paris Saint-Germain are set for a summer of change, with Edinson Cavani and Thomas Meunier not only failing to reach an agreement beyond this season, but also refusing to take part in the club's Champions League campaign before the end of the current season. Le10Sport believes Cavani could be set for a move to Inter Milan or Atletico Madrid, while Meunier is likely to join Borussia Dortmund.