The coronavirus pandemic has made the transfer market uncertain, but there was still plenty of action on deadline day. With the window closed across the major leagues in Europe, you can check out the latest major completed transfers across Europe.
TOP STORY: Garcia threatens to leave Man City for free
This has led to the centre-back telling the board that he will leave in in January or wait until next June and head off as a free agent, according to Fabrizio Romano.
The 19-year-old has his heart set on playing for Barcelona and is not willing to accept City standing in his way, according to the report, adding that Garcia won't be changing his mind.
In light of this, it will be interesting to see how Pep Guardiola chooses to use Garcia in the coming months.
Welcome in 𝗘𝗛𝗩.— PSV International (@psveindhoven) October 6, 2020
𝐀𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐅𝐞𝐢𝐧 😁👋🏻#FEINdhoven
20.52 BST: PSV Eindhoven are in advanced negotiations with World Cup winner Mario Gotze, sources have told ESPN's Tom Hamilton. The 28-year-old was photographed in Eindhoven, sparking interest on social media and a medical is planned for Tuesday evening.
20.34 BST: English Championship pair Watford and Middlesbrough are interested in a season-long loan for Chelsea left-back Baba Rahman, who's made just 15 appearances for the Premier League club since joining in 2015, having since gone on loan to Schalke 044, Reims and Mallorca, Goal reports.
20.05 BST: PSV Eindhoven have announced that they have signed 27-year-old Chelsea midfielder Marco van Ginkel on a season-long loan, his third short-term stint with the Eredivisie club since signing for the Premier League giants in 2013.
𝑶𝒐𝒐𝒐𝒉 𝑴𝒂𝒓𝒄𝒐 𝒗𝒂𝒏 𝑮𝒊𝒏-𝒌𝒆𝒍! ♫— PSV International (@psveindhoven) October 6, 2020
Van Ginkel = 🔙! Chelsea have given the midfielder green light to step up his rehab in Eindhoven.#WelkomThuisMarco
19.47 BST: AS writes that La Liga's financial controls will limit Atletico Madrid to spending just €12.5m of the €50m they received from Arsenal triggering the release clause of Thomas Partey on Deadline Day.
19.00 BST: FC Porto have announced they've signed 21-year-old Chelsea centre-back Malang Sarr on a season-long loan, with the France U21 international having just signed with the west London club this summer as a free agent after leaving Nice.
18.13 BST: Despite Antonio Conte using Christian Eriksen sparingly since his arrival from Tottenhan Hotsput in January, and subsequently signing another midfielder in Arturo Vidal this summer, Internazionale rejected three loan offers from Paris Saint-Germain, Atletico Madrid and Hertha Berlin for the 28-year-old Denmark international, according to Gazzetta dello Sport.
17.26 BST: Following Manchester United's long and ultimately fruitless pursuit of Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho, the Independent reports that Liverpool and Bayern Munich have now overtaken the Red Devils as favourites to sign the 20-year-old England international next summer.
16.29 BST: Tottenham remain interested in signing centre-back Joe Rodon from Swansea City, sources have told ESPN's James Olley.
Spurs would be able to sign Rodon, 22, as the window for transfers within the United Kingdom does not close until Oct. 16.
Sources added that Tottenham are yet to make a bid or hold official talks over signing the Wales international, but the London club are hopeful of negotiating Swnasea down from the £18m fee they want for the player.
15.47 BST: Kepa Arrizabalaga has insisted he's "calm and confident" that he can turn his Chelsea nightmare around. The £71m goalkeeper has come under fire after a string of high-profile blunders and has now lost his place to Edouard Mendy, signed from Rennes last month.
Kepa, 26, hasn't started for Chelsea since a costly mistake in their 2-0 defeat to Liverpool on September 20, while he was also at fault on the Premier League season's opening weekend against Brighton.
"I'm good. I feel strong, I feel confident," Kepa said in a news conference with Spain on Tuesday. "Maybe it isn't my dream situation or what I'd hope for, but in a footballer's career you have moments like this. I'm working with calm and I'm confident I can turn it around so that when I have the chance to play, I do it as well as possible."
Kepa was singled out for criticism by Chelsea boss Frank Lampard after the Liverpool defeat, describing his attempted clearance -- which was blocked by Sadio Mane -- as a "clear mistake" and saying that "Kepa has to keep working."
"Each coach has his way of communicating and of acting with the press," Kepa said when asked if the comments surprised him. "I feel the confidence of the club and of the national team. I'm playing for two top teams, two great coaches, that's what I focus on... I went to Chelsea at 23, a top club. It's an exciting project. I'm happy to be where I am, at the club I'm at."
14.59 BST: France national team boss Didier Deschamps has claimed that Antoine Griezmann is unhappy at Barcelona.
Griezmann, 29, endured a difficult debut campaign at Camp Nou last season, only scoring nine goals in 35 La Liga appearances. The forward has failed to score in Barca's opening three matches this season and Deschamps said he is struggling because he is playing out of position.
"I'm talking to him and I'll see him later. I am sure he is not happy with this situation," Deschamps told a news conference on Monday. "I don't interfere with the use of my players in other clubs, be it at Barca or anyone else. Antoine is playing on the right there at the moment.
"It's true that Koeman said, and told him, that he did not understand that he was used to playing in a more central position. But Antoine must also adapt.
"For me, he is still more effective when he is in the heart of the game, when he is able to touch the ball a lot. In that position, he has the possibility to come and help in the midfield too. He doesn't have the ability to take the ball and beat opponents on the wing like others. He needs to touch the ball a lot and he is smart in his movement."
14.27 BST: Watford have confirmed that striker Danny Welbeck has left the club after the two parties reached an agreement to cancel his contract.
Welbeck, 29, is now a free agent and is able to sign for other clubs.
The former Manchester United and Arsenal striker, who has scored 16 goals in 42 appearances for England, scored three league goals last season as Watford were relegated from the Premier League.
13.29 BST: United States youngster Chris Richards will not push for a late loan move to a European league where the transfer window is still open, sources have told ESPN's Stephan Uersfeld.
Richards, 22, made his first ever start for Bayern in the 4-3 win against Hertha Berlin on Sunday. He set up Robert Lewandowski for one of his goals to cap off a convincing performance. Playing at right-back, Richards replaced France international Benjamin Pavard in the starting XI. The former Dallas FC academy player can also play at centre-back.
On deadline day, Bayern Munich signed 28-year-old Bouna Sarr from Olympique Marseille as a back-up for Pavard.
Last week, Bayern head coach Hansi Flick praised Richards in a news conference before trusting him for the last 20 minutes of the German Supercup and handing him his first ever start against Hertha at the weekend.
12.48 BST: At the end of every transfer window there are usually a few clubs and players left scratching their heads as to how they failed to get deals over the line. Jadon Sancho, Ousmane Dembele and Memphis Depay are three players who could have moved but instead stayed put. The ESPN FC team look at what happened.
12.09 BST: Brazil international Felipe Anderson is close to joining Porto on a season-long loan from West Ham United, according to the BBC.
The transfer window in Portugal does not close until Oct. 25, but Porto need to complete the signing by midnight local time on Tuesday if they are to register him to play in the Champions League.
Anderson, 27, was West Ham's record signing when he signed from Lazio for £36m two years ago, but this season his only start has come in the Carabao Cup.
11.20 BST: Jadon Sancho will remain Manchester United's primary transfer target despite missing out on the Borussia Dortmund forward this summer, sources have told ESPN's Rob Dawson.
United refused to meet Dortmund's €120m asking price during the transfer window but are still determined to sign the England winger in 12 months.
The club's efforts to sign a right winger on deadline day centred around securing a short-term loan deal for the coming season rather than a direct alternative to Sancho.
Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele, Sevilla's Lucas Ocampos and Watford's Ismaila Sarr were all considered but United were only open to a straight loan and made it clear they would not accept a long-term transfer or obligation to buy clauses.
United did secure an agreement worth €20m plus €21m in add-ons with Atalanta for highly-rated 18-year-old forward Amad Traore but he will not move to Old Trafford until a later date because of issues surrounding his passport and work permit.
Sources said that United are likely to face fresh competition from Real Madrid and Liverpool after both clubs told Dortmund they were not in a position to sign the England star during a window impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.
10.20 BST: Arsenal's signing of Thomas Partey from Atletico Madrid was one of the biggest deals on deadline day. ESPN FC's Stewart Robson believes the Ghana international is just the player that the Gunners need to strengthen their midfield.
09.48 BST: Manchester United have made contact with Mauricio Pochettino to sound him out about taking over from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as manager, the Daily Star reports.
Pochettino, 48, has been out of work for almost a year, after Tottenham sacked him last November just five months after he led them to the Champions League final.
The Argentine coach was regularly been linked with the United job during his time at Spurs, who heaped the pressure on Solskjaer on Sunday with their stunning 6-1 win at Old Trafford.
That was United's second defeat fron their first three Premier League games of the season, and they were fortunate to claim a 3-2 win at Brighton via a penalty that was awarded by VAR after the final whistle had blown.
The Daily Star reports that senior United officials have met with representatives of Pochettino and that, while executive vice chairman Ed Woodward is not considering sacking Solskjaer yet, he expects a significant upturn in results soon.
- Marcotti: Solskjaer must answer for United woes
09.19 BST: Luka Modric has reiterated his desire to retire at Real Madrid and said it's up to the club to decide his long-term future.
The 35-year-old midfielder, who has started the La Liga season in excellent form, has just a year left on his contract at the Bernabeu.
"Of course I would like to stay at Madrid, but it doesn't only depend on me," he told COPE radio on Monday night. "It depends what the club wants. I feel good and I think I have a lot of football in me... My desire would be to end my career at Madrid and renew if possible."
"I don't want to be a problem for the club or the coach," he added. "I don't want to be a burden, I've always had a good relationship with the club and I'm sure we'll reach an agreement whatever it may be, if I renew or go somewhere else."
08.54 BST: Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Ander Herrera said he encouraged his former teammate Edinson Cavani to sign for Manchester United.
Cavani signed for United on Monday as a free agent after his contract at PSG, where he became the club's all-time top goal scorer, expired in the summer.
Herrera, who played at Old Trafford from 2014 until he signed for PSG in the summer of 2019, told El Larguero: "He asked me for my advice, and I told him that United is one of those teams that you cannot say no to. The pity is that he is not going to be able to enjoy the fans. Old Trafford is unique."
Meanwhile, Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez said he spoke to Cavani before leaving the player out of his squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Chile and at Ecuador.
"He hasn't worked with a team for some time, and that made us think of the risk that this could have for a player that hasn't had much activity to arrive to the national team and play as he feels he has to," Tabarez told a news conference. "He was finalising his professional situation with a club. Had I called him up, he would have had his mind in many places, and that's no good for any player.
"I spoke to 'Edi,' and he understood it. It's just the circumstances. Once we return from Ecuador, I will make up the next list, and if everything goes well, we will have Cavani."
08.21 BST: Germany's 2014 World Cup hero, Mario Gotze, remains a target for Hertha Berlin, according to kicker.
Gotze, 28, has been a free agent since his contract at Borussia Dortmund expired in the summer, and as such, he is still able to sign for a new team this season, despite the transfer deadline passing on Monday.
However, kicker reports that Hertha, who have been interested in signing Gotze for several weeks, remain unsure if the midfielder is up to the level required for the club to compete in the Bundesliga.
Gotze has struggled with form and fitness during spells at Bayern Munich and Dortmund in the years since he scored the winning goal in extra time of the 2014 World Cup final against Argentina.
07.30 BST: Jean-Clair Todibo and Rafinha left Barcelona on Monday, but the club failed to bring in any deadline day signings, as they came up short in their attempts to sign Eric Garcia and Memphis Depay.
Todibo, 20, joined Benfica on a two-year loan deal worth €2m -- the Portuguese club also have an option to sign the defender for €20m in the future -- and Rafinha has moved to Paris on a three-year deal worth up to €3m in performance-related add-ons.
But City and Barca failed to reach an agreement as Garcia, 19, awaited developments from Madrid, where he's based with the Spain national team. Sources have told ESPN that Barca believed City would reduce their asking price for Garcia, given that his contract expires next summer, but a middle ground was never reached. The Blaugrana can sign him for free at the end of the season, but for now, he remains at the Premier League side.
Barca and United did hold talks over the French forward but wanted very different deals. Barca wanted a permanent move, and United only wanted to take Dembele, whose three years at Camp Nou have been plagued by injuries, on loan.
07.00 BST: Deadline Day is over, and the window is closed, but you can see what went on here.
Here's a snapshot of the major deals that were done.
- French champions Paris Saint-Germain completed the signing of midfielder Rafinha Alcantara from Barcelona.
- Juventus signed Fiorentina winger Federico Chiesa in a potential €50m move. Juve will pay a total of €10m over the two seasons of the loan, with €3m for the 2020-21 campaign and €7m for the following term. The Bianconeri will pay a fee of €40m to make the deal permanent payable over three years, which could rise by a further €10m.
PAPER TALK: (by Danny Lewis)
AC Milan already have eyes on January deals
Calciomercato is reporting that AC Milan are already looking ahead to January. Their first port of call is to ensure that they tie goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma and forward Hakan Calhanoglu to new deals in an attempt to prevent either of them from leaving for free in the summer.
However, Milan are seeing the added time as an opportunity to scout out further options before making a move.
Khedira destined for Juventus exit next year
Sami Khedira might not have left Juventus this transfer window, but it seems certain that he will in a year.
Calciomercato is reporting that the German refused to terminate his contract, with the Serie A champions looking to save on wages.
In addition to that, Khedira has stated that he will not be renewing his contract, which ends in 2021, which means that he will be free to leave Juventus soon.
There is also little hope of reconciliation between the player and club, as it is being reported that the midfielder won't be included in Andrea Pirlo's Champions League squad.
-- Xherdan Shaqiri will be staying at Liverpool until January at least, reports Goal, as Liverpool are refusing to let him leave on loan. The club turned down loan moves to Roma and Sevilla in January, and there have been no concrete offers for the Switzerland international to make a permanent switch this time around.
-- Milot Rachica's proposed move from Werder Bremen to Bayer Leverkusen faltered in the final moments. According to kicker, the two clubs failed to agree on the purchase option that would have been attached to the proposed loan move. Therefore, the Kosovo international will be staying at Bremen for now, though there seems to be a chance that there will be another move made for him in January.