The summer transfer window is closed for the major leagues in Europe. However, with an eye on January, there's plenty of gossip swirling about who's moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings, goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: Miami closing in on Messi coup?
Messi, 35, is out of contract at the end of the season, his second year in the French capital, and there have been reports of extending his deal with PSG or even a sensational return to Barcelona for the seven-time Ballon d'Or winner.
However, The Athletic reports that negotiations with Inter Miami have advanced the farthest, with brothers Jorge and Jose Mas leading the talks on behalf of the club they co-own with David Beckham. However, that dialogue has been put on hold until after the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, which runs from Nov. 20 to Dec. 18.
Messi's arrival in MLS could have a similar impact on the profile of soccer in the United States as Beckham's own move to LA Galaxy did in 2007, especially with the World Cup coming to the U.S. in 2026.
Messi's form has been revitalised this season, with the Argentina captain scoring 10 goals in all competitions already and registering 10 league assists in a campaign after just 12 games, the quickest he has ever reached that mark.
David Beckham said this about bringing Messi to Inter Miami last year 👀 pic.twitter.com/NChJaQoA09— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) October 31, 2022
20.45 BST: Chelsea are monitoring the situation of Juventus midfielder Adrien Rabiot, as reported by Ekrem Konur. I Bianconeri are continuing negotiations to extend the Frenchman's current contract, which is set to expire in the summer of 2023.
20.22 BST: AC Milan are hoping to sign Chelsea striker Armando Broja, reports Calciomercato, although it is added that a move would be complicated because the Blues don't want to lose the Albania international. The 21-year-old has made 14 appearances this season with one of those being from the start, scoring in the win against Wolverhampton Wanderers.
19.50 BST: Foot Mercato have suggested that the hold-up in Desire Doue signing a contract extension with Stade Rennais has come due to his father demanding changes to the wages and length of contract.
The 17-year-old's current deal runs until 2024 so both sides remain confident that an agreement can be reached.
19:33 BST: Luis Muriel could leave Atalanta in January and Fiorentina are showing interest in the Colombian, reports Calciomercato.
The 31-year-old has recorded one goal and two assists in nine appearances for La Dea this season.
18.58 BST: Brighton & Hove Albion manager Roberto de Zerbi is keen to sign centre-back Mykola Matviyenko from the coach's former club Shakhtar Donetsk, reports The Athletic.
De Zerbi is said to be determined to sign the Ukraine international, who who reportedly is valued in the region of €20m.
18:35 BST: Ajax has notified Juventus midfielder Mohamed Ihattaren that the option to sign him permanently will not be exercised, the club announced. Ihattaren's loan with Ajax will run out on Jan. 3, 2023 and not be extended.
18:06 BST: Manchester United want to sign Norwich City right-back Max Aarons to provide competition for Diogo Dalot, according to The Sun.
The 22-year-old is reportedly valued at £10m by the Canaries and the Red Devils will look to make a January move with Aaron Wan-Bissaka's future with the club in doubt.
17:49 BST: Olympique de Marseille are planning to trigger the extension option in Alexis Sanchez's contract, as reported by Ekrem Konur. The Chile international's current deal is set to expire upon this season's culmination, but the forward has impressed with six goals in 14 appearances since his arrival.
17:10 BST: Both Barcelona and Franck Kessie understand that the midfielder will not be leaving in January, according to Fabrizio Romano, who adds there is currently no talk of a loan.
The Ivory Coast international joined on a four-year contract in the summer and is beginning to adapt to what is needed at Barcelona.
16.19 BST: Unai Emery is set to raid former club Villarreal to make winger Nicolas Jackson his first signing as Aston Villa manager, the Daily Mail reports.
Jackson, 21, has already scored three goals over 19 appearance this season in what has been a breakout year for him.
The Senegal youth international is out of contract in the summer, meaning he can sign a pre-contract with a foreign club in January or even move in that window for a fee if Villarreal don't want to lose him for nothing six months later.
Barcelona, Newcastle United and Everton are also keeping tabs on the player, the Mail adds.
14.53 BST: Orlando City forward Facundo Torres is a target for Arsenal, the London Evening Standard reports.
The Uruguay international has scored nine goals and registered 10 assists in MLS this season, leading the Gunners to identify him as a mid-season signing who can provide competition and cover for Bukayo Saka.
Arsenal are due to open talks over a possible move for the 22-year-old, who scored against them in a preseason friendly in the summer.
Torres signed a four-year contract with the option of a further year when he signed for Orlando in January.
13.48 BST: Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong remains committed to the club and will not seek a move in the January transfer window, Sport reports.
De Jong was a key target for Manchester United in the summer, but he insisted he did not want to leave Camp Nou despite the club being open to a transfer in order to ease their financial burden.
Despite Barca exiting the Champions League at the group stage for a second consecutive season, De Jong wants to remain at the club and continue to help coach Xavi Hernandez restore it to its former glory.
12.42 BST: Tottenham Hotspur manager Antonio Conte is in talks with the club over a new contract, according to The Athletic.
Conte, 53, has a contract that runs until the end of the season, but there is an option in that deal for an extension.
The Italian joined the club on Nov. 2 last year, and led them to a top-four finish in the Premier League and with it Champions League qualification.
While this season has been overshadowed by defeats against direct top-four rivals Arsenal, Manchester United and Newcastle United, Spurs remain third in the table and will qualify for the round of 16 in Europe if they avoid a loss at Marseille on Tuesday.
Conte's longest stint as a manager was his time at Juventus from 2011 to 2014. He is yet to stay at one club for more than three years.
11.50 BST: Manchester United are considering a January move for Bayer Leverkusen's Jeremie Frimpong, according to Sky Sports.
The news follows Erik ten Hag's admission that he is looking for cover in the right-back and left-back positions given the high number of games United have coming up after the World Cup. Ten Hag is mindful that while he feels current right-back Diogo Dalot continues to improve both in terms of his defending and distribution, he says the Reds need more cover specifically in that area and on the other flank. Moreover, Dalot's contract runs out at the end of the current season, while United's other right-back, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, doesn't appear to carry favour with the Dutch manager.
"We need two good full-backs [on the left and right] because we have a lot of games to come," said the United boss following United's 1-0 win against West Ham United on Sunday. That means that Frimpong, who has scored five goals and added two assists in his 17 outings this season under Leverkusen boss Xabi Alonso, continues to attract interest from the red half of Manchester.
Chelsea are reportedly also keen on the coveted full-back.
10.35 BST: Juventus have opened talks over a new contract for youngster Samuel Iling-Junior, according to The Athletic.
Iling-Junior, 19, has caught the eye over his three first-team appearances as a substitute for Juve this season, including an assist on his Champions League debut at Benfica.
Clubs across Europe are monitoring the former Chelsea academy player's progress, including several in the Premier League.
The England youth international is out of contract in the summer, but Juve are already speaking with his representatives in the hope of securing a new deal.
09.43 BST: With players like Victor Osimhen and Khvicha Kvaratskhelia lighting up Serie A and the Champions League, Napoli are among the continent's best sides. But can they keep their star players?
08.51 BST: Erik ten Hag says Manchester United will look at David De Gea's contract situation during the break for the World Cup.
The goalkeeper has a deal until the end of the season while the club also have an option to extend it by another 12 months.
De Gea was instrumental in Sunday's 1-0 win over West Ham, making three key saves in the second half, and despite speculation over his long-term future, Ten Hag says he's "happy" with the Spaniard.
"We said first we are focusing on the games but when we come to an end with this block, we have the World Cup and then we have to think about [his contract]," said Ten Hag.
"In the background we have our strategies for how to deal with it. It is clear already and I have already emphasised it several times, I am really happy with David. He is a great goalkeeper. He is only 31. He is fit. He can progress even more. He was already impressive for Man United and I think he will do that in the future as well."
08.00 BST: Bruno Fornaroli will now help his former rivals Melbourne Victory chase silverware after sealing his expected switch from Perth Glory.
The former Melbourne City captain had been linked to a reunion with former Glory manager Tony Popovic in recent weeks, before his abrupt exit from Perth last Friday. Barely three days after dismissing links to Fornaroli as a "rumour," Popovic welcomed the 35-year-old to his attacking ranks.
Fornaroli joins Victory's squad immediately with the club expecting him to be available for Friday night's home A-League Men game against Newcastle at AAMI Park.
Fornaroli has scored 82 goals in 142 ALM matches, fifth on the league's all-time goal-scoring list, including 33 at AAMI Park. He won the 2016 Australia Cup at City and previously scored nine goals in 14 ALM games against Victory.
Can't wait to start this journey at Melbourne Victory! AAMI Park I'm here again be ready. Thank you to the fans who have welcomed me already, you are the best in the land. See you in the stands this weekend 💪💪 💙 pic.twitter.com/SKDCgpDSUm— Bruno Fornaroli (@BFornaroli) October 31, 2022
PAPER GOSSIP (by Nick Judd)
- Newcastle United are considering a January move for 18-year-old Brazilian wunderkind Eguinaldo, according to the Sun. The youngster competes in Brazil's second tier for Vasco and can play anywhere along the front line, though he favours the left-hand side. Newcastle are one of several clubs monitoring his progress, though they would have to meet a £26 million release clause, which was inserted when he recently signed a five-year deal. Eguinaldo has scored three goals in 18 games this season.
- Arsenal, Newcastle and Liverpool could be set for disappointment if Marca's prediction that Marco Asensio will stay at Real Madrid comes to fruition. The outlet reports that the Spanish midfielder could be close to a contract renewal, despite having looked destined to depart in the summer. The 26-year-old midfielder is still not playing as many games as he would like, but he is impacting matches, and playing well, when he's on the field. Agent Jorge Mendes is expected to get word of a potential contract renewal in the coming days.
- Alex Grimaldo is a wanted man, and Calciomercato are suggesting that the Benfica winger fancies a move to Juventus. The Bianconeri aren't the only European club tracking the 27-year-old, though. Grimaldo's contract is set to expire in June 2023, and though Benfica boss Roger Schmidt is keen to keep the Spanish player, he could be tempted by a new project. "Of course, I hope he stays, but these are situations that are part of football," Schmidt said. "If I could, I would ask him to stay at Benfica for many years. He will have to decide." Arsenal and Chelsea also are reportedly interested -- and adding to Schmidt's worries.
- Real Madrid scouts are monitoring the progress of Sporting Lisbon right-sided player Pedro Porro, according to journalist Ekrem Konur. The Los Blancos scouts were in attendance to see the 23-year-old in action in the 1-1 draw against Tottenham Hotspur in the Champions League in midweek. Porro plays at right-back but also can played in a more advanced position. The Spanish player's contract runs until 2025, but Madrid, who have been targeting Porro for over a year now, could be in line for a move next summer.
- Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting has emerged as an unlikely hero for Bayern Munich this season, which has prompted Bayern chief Hasan Salihamidzic to tell Sky Sports Germany that contract talks will be held with the in-form striker. Choupo-Moting, 33, is a free agent in the summer, but six goals in his past five appearances have seen the Cameroon international's future move up Bayern's priority list. He also has two assists to add to his glowing CV this season.