2022-23 Indian Super League, Regular Season
  • Sarthak Golui (74')
  • Vafa Hakhamaneshi (69')
  • Vafa Hakhamaneshi (70')

ISL 2022-23: Chennaiyin FC edge past East Bengal with both teams having a player sent off

Vafa Hakhamaneshi celebrates his goal with Chennaiyin FC Head Coach Thomas Brdaric Vipin Pawar/Focus Sports/ ISL

Chennaiyin FC walked away from Kolkata with three points for the second time this season as they beat East Bengal FC 1-0 in the Indian Super League (ISL) at the Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan. Vafa Hakhamaneshi scored the only goal of the match in the 69th minute, not long before he was sent off. Both sides finished with ten men as East Bengal's Sarthak Golui was also sent off in the 75th minute.

For the hosts, head coach Stephen Constantine fielded the same XI that started in the Kolkata Derby last week. Chennaiyin FC made just one change, with Debjit Majumder returning in goal after serving his suspension. The major concern for the visitors was the absence of Kwame Karikari from the squad due to an injury.

Two minutes into the game, Jordan O'Doherty found himself in space inside the Chennaiyin box. His cross was blocked by Fallou Diagne before it could do any damage. At the other end just after the ten-minute mark, Petar Sliskovic was picked out with a through ball by Anirudh Thapa. The angle was tight and Sliskovic's attempt struck the post.

Approaching the midway point of the first half, VP Suhair was slipped through on goal by Cleiton Silva but dragged his shot wide, when he had just Debjit to beat.

In the 36th minute, Hakhamaneshi was almost punished for his complacency at the edge of the Chennaiyin box. The Iranian delayed a pass to the goalkeeper before losing his footing. Cleiton Silva pounced on the ball but saw his shot from a tight angle fly wide of goal.

Five minutes into the second half, a Chennaiyin FC corner was cleared, but only as far as Rahim Ali, lurking at the edge of the box. On the volley, the striker tried to find the bottom right corner, but his effort was just wide. Three minutes later, Kamaljit produced another save to deny Prasanth Karuthadathkuni.

In the 69th minute, substitute Akash Sangwan whipped a good ball in from a corner and Hakhamaneshi was the first to reach it and nod it in from close range, giving the Marina Machans a crucial lead. However, the Iranian defender received a second yellow card of the game due to his celebration, and the visitors were down to ten men.

Just a little over five minutes after the incident, the hosts were reduced to ten men as well. Sarthak, who was booked in the first half, received his marching orders after connecting his elbow with Anirudh Thapa in midfield.

The game meandered to its end as East Bengal failed to muster up any threat to Debjit's goal.