Manchester United still want Antoine Griezmann despite pulling back from a proposed deal this summer, sources have told ESPN FC.
United cooled their interest in the Atletico Madrid forward last week before the France international committed his immediate future to the Spanish club.
It came just weeks after the 26-year-old had admitted a summer move to Old Trafford was "possible" and rated the chances at "six" out of 10.
With doubts over Zlatan's Ibrahimovic's long-term future, Real Madrid's Alvaro Morata and Everton's Romelu Lukaku have emerged as Jose Mourinho's preferred options.
Alexandre Lacazette has also been linked, but the Lyon striker is only considered a backup option.
United have not completely closed the door on triggering Griezmann's €100 million buyout clause during this window -- especially if they cannot secure other targets. And there remains hope at Old Trafford that he will be a United player by next summer at the latest.
Griezmann's decision to stay with Atleti came on the day the Court of Arbitration for Sport upheld the club's transfer ban for irregularities over the recruitment of underage players.
It means they will not be able to sign new players this summer, but with those obstacles removed in January, United remain confident a deal could still be done before the 2018-19 campaign.
"We have decided to stay [Griezmann and his sporting adviser Eric Olhats]," Griezmann told Telefoot on Sunday. "[The constant speculation and questions about his future] was pretty irritating.
"It is a difficult moment for the club and for my teammates. It would have been a really harsh blow [for Atletico] to leave. There is another beautiful season to be had."