<
>

Renato Sanches could still leave Bayern Munich - Carlo Ancelotti

MUNICH -- Bayern Munich coach Carlo Ancelotti has said that the future of Renato Sanches is still undecided.

Sanches, 20, winner of the 2016 Golden Boy award and voted best young player at Euro 2016, has struggled to meet expectations since his move last summer from Benfica, when Bayern successfully beat off competition from Manchester United for his signature.

The Portugal international only started six Bundesliga games last season, failing to score or provide an assist in 25 appearances in all competitions. So far this season, he has sat on the bench for 90 minutes in Bayern's German Super Cup win over Borussia Dortmund and Friday's Bundesliga opener against Bayer Leverkusen.

Sanches has been linked with a move to clubs including AC Milan, Juventus and Liverpool, and Ancelotti concedes he could leave Bayern before the transfer window closes.

"Renato is in good condition at the moment," Ancelotti said at a news conference ahead of Bayern's Bundesliga trip to Werder Bremen. "He knows his position with the team; he knows there's lots of competition. If he stays I'll be pleased, and if he decides to leave, that's OK -- no problem."

Meanwhile, Ancelotti confirmed that Bayern captain Manuel Neuer will return to the side against Bremen.

Neuer, 31, returned to full training this week for the first time since breaking his metatarsal during the Champions League defeat to Real Madrid in April.

Back-up keeper Sven Ulreich has deputised so far this season with Neuer not having played since the quarterfinal second-leg loss at the Santiago Bernabeu over four months ago.

"Ulreich has performed well in the last few games, but we are all very pleased," Ancelotti said. "Manu is the best goalkeeper in the world."

Ancelotti also confirmed that Spain internationals Thiago Alcantara and Javi Martinez are both "fit" and will return to the squad for the trip to Bremen, while adding that James Rodriguez is still training individually but making progress from his thigh injury.

Asked whether the Colombia international would be available to meet up with his national side next week, Ancelotti said: "He is on track, but we will decide on Monday if he is fit."

With the transfer window set to close next week, Ancelotti would not rule out adding to his squad in the remaining days, saying: "Everything can happen -- nothing is impossible."