<
>

Liverpool can't replace Philippe Coutinho in January window - Klopp

LIVERPOOL -- Jurgen Klopp says Liverpool must stop "thinking" about replacing Philippe Coutinho and does not blame the team's recent back-to-back losses on the Brazilian's absence.

Coutinho left for Barcelona in a deal worth £142 million on Jan. 6, but Liverpool are yet to reinvest any of those funds in their first-team squad.

Last week saw Liverpool's 18-match unbeaten run come to an end at Swansea City before they were knocked out of the FA Cup -- their most realistic chance of silverware this season -- by West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.

Speaking at a news conference to preview the midweek trip to Huddersfield Town, Klopp said: "Phil Coutinho is not easy to replace in this transfer window. It's why Barca pay a big amount of money for Phil Coutinho because he's pretty rare to get. We can stop thinking about that.

"It's not about replacing anybody. It's about using our own opportunity, our own tools, players, our tactics, formations and all that stuff. Yes, it's right that we didn't play well at Swansea, but a few days before we played fantastic against Man City.

"Of course, we could have won anyway at Swansea and exactly the same in the last game. That doesn't say anything about the performances, only the results were not good enough. But we could have won these games. It's not about creating chances. It was about different stuff, different things.

"In the game against Swansea; formation-wise. Against West Brom; defending. I don't think Phil would have helped a lot in these situations, to be honest. He was a fantastic player, but that was not the problem.

"We have to immediately find the winning track and we need results to reach our targets. We know that. But the solution is not out there on the transfer market in that moment."

Liverpool confirmed the signing of 18-year-old full-back Tony Gallacher from Falkirk on Saturday and are unlikely to make any further additions prior to Wednesday's transfer deadline, according to Klopp.

The Reds boss added: "How I said, we always have open eyes in situations like that, but it's not that there's something out there for us to get. We really think we have to use, first of all, our players.

"Unfortunately, in the moment Phil left, Adam [Lallana] got a little injury again. That's always unlucky of course, but that cannot be the reason for getting nervous now and go out and try to do something.

"In the long term, we will do a lot. In the short term, I don't think that will happen a lot."

Meanwhile, Newcastle United and West Bromwich Albion have both enquired about the possibility of signing Daniel Sturridge on loan, a source has told ESPN FC.

With Liverpool willing to sanction Sturridge's departure, Inter Milan had submitted a loan offer for the 28-year-old before new approaches from the two Premier League sides.

Klopp was asked about Sturridge's future, and said: "In the next few days probably a lot will happen in the transfer window and we will see what happens here. Nothing else to say about that.

"How you can imagine, even if there would be something it wouldn't help us, Daniel or another club to make the deal, so that's why it makes no sense to talk about it. You write it anyway, so don't need my saying for what I think."

Despite being fit, Sturridge was not part of Liverpool's squad for the loss to WBA, although Klopp stressed his omission had nothing to do with any pending transfer activity.

With the World Cup on the horizon, the striker is looking for more regular game-time in an attempt to secure a place in Gareth Southgate's England squad.

The former Manchester City and Chelsea player last appeared for Liverpool on Dec. 6 and has made just five starts for the Reds this season.