Barcelona have said Borussia Dortmund have informed them that they want to exercise their option to sign Paco Alcacer on a full-time basis.
Alcacer, 25, joined the Bundesliga club on an initial loan for €2 million in August after failing to break into the Barca first team during two years at Camp Nou.
As part of the deal, Dortmund have an option to sign the former Valencia striker permanently for €23m, with another €5m in potential add-ons to follow.
Barcelona CEO Oscar Grau told the Catalan club's AGM on Saturday that the Bundesliga side have said they want to push that deal through.
Alcacer will now have the final say on whether his loan becomes permanent after scoring eight times in just five appearances for Dortmund.
His performances earned him a recall to Luis Enrique's Spain squad earlier this month, and he scored three goals in the games against Wales and England.
Some Barcelona fans have complained about the way Alcacer's time at the club was managed, with a large number of the 1,000 club members present at the AGM applauding his name.
Luis Suarez blocked his path to the first team but, with the Uruguay international turning 32 in January, the hunt for a long-term replacement is under way.