Chelsea boss Antonio Conte has asked Carlo Ancelotti at Bayern Munich about the availability of Renato Sanches, according to the Bundesliga champions' CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.
Rummenigge praised the combative midfielder for his performance in Bayern's 3-2 victory over Chelsea in the International Champions Cup in Singapore on Tuesday -- an impressive display which also caught the eye of Conte.
"He played superbly against Chelsea," Rummenigge said. "You could see immediately after the game how happy and content he was to make a breakthrough. He also surprised Antonio Conte, who later asked Carlo about him -- that shows his value."
Sanches, 19, struggled to meet expectations at Bayern since his move last summer from Benfica. He only started six Bundesliga games last season and failed to score or provide an assist in 25 appearances in all competitions, while completing 90 minutes on just one occasion.
However, according to Rummenigge, Sanches' future remains still very much undecided.
"We had a long talk in Singapore about his thoughts," he said. "He does not necessarily want to leave, but he wants to play. We all share this opinion. He is a young player, 19 years old and has to play consistently. We will have to see what happens.
"We would send him out on loan for maximum one year because we remain convinced he can become a good and useful Bayern player, but we haven't made a final decision."
Despite struggling in his debut season in Germany, president Uli Hoeness has said Sanches deserves another year to make the breakthrough at the Bundesliga champions.
However, before flying to Asia for their summer tour of China and Singapore, Rummenigge said AC Milan were interested in signing the teenager, but expressed doubt last week whether the Rossoneri would be able to afford a player who moved to the Bundesliga champions for a fee of €35 million plus add-ons last summer.